Saturday 7 April 2012

CHALK TO ME......BABY!

So, I am forever changing my hair colour and style. My Mum and sister (who are BOTH hairdressers) are forever frowning up on me for the endless torment I put my hair through!
Having experimented with a blondie "dip-dye" on my brunette hair last summer, I was a huge fan of the mix-matched look!
But, hair is not a big fan of bleach- and there's only so many times a girl can bleach the ends of her hair before she can hear the tips screaming out that they can take no more peroxide abuse!
Alas, a bob-style hair cut later, I am once again bored.
I am a HUGE fan of pink hair! There is something so sexy, yet cute and adorable about a fuchsia fro! Whether is a shade of neon bright pink to a chilled out pastel pink - I love it!

A few years ago, after a few glasses of pink fizz- I decided to match my hair to the colour of my drink of choice. I used a SMART colour, and although the colour was fantastic at first- very bright pink- it soon faded after a wash or two to a very rusty shade of dirty, pinky orange. This is most probably due to the hair-dye of choice also having a "lift and colour" process to it.

(My boss at the time, was also not very happy with my shading of hair as I work in the medical profession. Ooopsy!)

This morning I woke up and decided I was very bored of my brunette hair. I switched on my laptop and begun trawling the Internet for new hairstyle ideas........ and then I came across it.... HAIR CHALKING!!!




Now, does this make me old and somewhat "sad" for only just coming across this and being THAT excited?? I don't care! 
This trend hit the big time when The Hills star, Lauren Conrad, unveiled her "cotton candy bun" hair-do and revealed that the sweet pastel shade was down to the method of chalking


Obviously- the technique is soooo much more gentle to your precious hair! No peroxide or harsh chemicals! I like :)


The technique is to wet the hair where you would like to apply the chalk colour, or even wet the chalk itself. Now, a normal pastel/chalk from a craft store is up to the job. But I have chosen to go with the professionals and have bought a beautiful pink shade of Color Bug by Kevin Murphy  : www.lovekevinmurphy.com


Rub the chosen pastel onto the area of damp hair where you would like to distribute your chosen colour and then rub it into the hair using your fingers for maximum effect. Use curling irons or straighteners to "seal- in" the colour, brush through and then finish off with a spritz of hair spray.


Warning: Chalking can dry out the hair- so make sure you invest in a great moisturising conditioner :)
Im currently waiting for my product to arrive. I ordered it approximatley 30 mins ago - So I still have a while to wait! I am very impatient! But I simply had to blog about this wonderful technique.
In the meantime, here are some beautiful example of "Hair chalking"
Enjoy and I shall let you know how my own experience with Color Bug goes :)




An example of "Rainbow pastels" where more than one colour is used. This is going to be addictive! 




Obviously, the colour will always be much more vibrant on bleached or naturally blonde hair....but brunette hair works just as well.....




Simply stunning. Purple and minty shades would look so beautiful on brunette hair




& here it is, the cutsie-pie style that started off a national shortage of chalk.


If I had heard of this technique before I reached for my first bottle of hair dye, my hair would be as long as Rapunzel's, with the consistency of silk woven by angels...... maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment